This is the old United Nations University website. Visit the new site at http://unu.edu
THE WORLD BANK
15 February 2001
(Jointly issued by UNU and World Bank)
UNU AND WORLD BANK TO HOST PUBLIC FORUM ON GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY
Date/time: 22 February 2001 (Thu) from 09:30-12:30
Venue: U Thant International Conference Hall (3F), UN House (UNU Centre Bldg.)
United Nations University and the World Bank will jointly organize a public forum entitled "Global Sustainability - Challenges and Responses for the New Millennium." The Forum will focus on two dimensions of development, natural capital and social capital, and will address the main concern of global sustainability. Current projections point to a massive depletion of natural resources in the coming decades, while growing poverty raises complex challenges for natural resource management. The Forum will address:
- Natural disaster management in light of the long-term effects of climate change;
- Agricultural research and food security;
- Work on social capital, as a complementary issue to natural capital;
- Understanding the role of civil society in sustainable development, particularly in the context of globalization;
- Global public policy for sustainable development.
The Forum will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., on Thursday, 22 February, in the U Thant International Conference Hall at the UN House (UNU Centre Building) in Tokyo. The Forum will be in English with simultaneous Japanese interpretation. A copy of the programme is attached for your information.
Media representatives are cordially invited to attend.
* * *
For further information please contact:
The UNU Public Affairs Section:
Tel. (03) 5467-1243, -1246;
Fax (03) 3406-7346