The United Nations University (UNU) Internship Programme
The Purpose of the United Nations University (UNU) Internship Programme is set forth as follows:
- To promote interaction and dialogue between young scholars and UNU.
- To provide support to activities within the UNU Centre.
- To familiarize interns with the research work and related activities of the UNU.
Criteria for Selection
The criteria for selection of interns are the following:
- Qualifications and expertise relevant to the UNU in any one or more of its activities (Environment and Sustainable Development, Peace and Governance, Rector's Office/Capacity-building, UNU Press, Library).
Degree required: Bachelor or equivalent in fields related to the function, such as international relations, political science, geography, environmental studies.
- Candidates should request referee(s) to supply confidential letter(s) in support of their applications directly to the UNU.
- For non-Japanese nationals, appropriate visa is required.
Procedure for Application
Applicants who are interested in doing an internship at the UNU in Tokyo should submit a duly completed application form (provided here as a downloadable file) accompanied by brief curriculum vitae and covering letter to the Chair of the Internship Committee of the UNU (Fax: +81 3 3499-2828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications are considered four times a year, at the end of January, April, July and October.
The duration of the internship will be at least three months with a maximum duration limited to six months.
Office Space and Facilities
- Interns will be provided office space and facilities as appropriate for their work.
- The interns will have free access to the UNU Library.
N.B. The University will not offer any financial assistance for the internship.
Conditions Governing the United Nations University Internship Programme
- I accept the internship which has been awarded to me by the United Nations University and am aware of the following:
- that the United Nations University will not pay me for my internship and that all the expenses connected with it must be borne by me or my sponsoring Government or institution;
- that the United Nations University accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during my internship and that I must, therefore, provide proof of my enrollment in a health insurance plan;
- that I am myself responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging my travel to the United Nations University in Tokyo.
- I undertake the following obligations with respect to the United Nations University Internship Programme:
- to conduct myself at all times in a manner compatible with my responsibilities as the holder of a United Nations University Internship;
- to keep confidential any and all unpublished information made known to me by the accepting Office during the course of my internship and not to publish any reports or papers on the basis of information obtained during the programme, except with the explicit authorization of the United Nations University;
- to provide written notice in case of illness or other unavoidable circumstances which might prevent me from completing the internship;
- to complete an internship evaluation report as appropriate at the end of my internship and to submit it to the Officer supervising the Intern;
- to return all library materials prior to the last day of internship;
- to return the identification card to the relevant Officer on the last day of internship.